Monday, May 2, 2011

A Mother's Day Tribute

 The entire process of pregnancy, birth, and postpartum came as a shock. I was not prepared. I did not know the harsh truth about the earthiness of the process, the physicality of it, the discomfort and pain. These things are closely guarded secrets and perhaps I am breaking the womanly code of silence by admitting I was thoroughly miserable during this supposed best time of my life, but I do believe, in retrospect, I would have coped better had I understood the realities. As it was and still is, I struggle with anger, fear, and resentment, along with an overwhelming sense of trauma. Don't get me wrong, I adore my child and do not regret bringing her into the world, which amazes me after "suffering" a Western, medicalized birth, but that is the POWER of a mother's love, a God-given gift indeed.
The idea of passing along a genetic and experiential heritage was a huge factor in my decision to play "Russian roulette" with my fertility at this stage of my life. Most influential in my thinking was my father-in-law's struggle with an extremely quick and debilitating form of Parkinson's disease. We had waited nearly twenty years to reproduce, thinking we would all live forever and reproduction really wasn't a priority in any case. Now that I seem how much my daughter looks so like her grandfather, it humbles me to have thought that way. To see his pleasure and curiosity the past two days has made me realize how precious and crucial are the physical sacrifices women make in carrying and birthing their children. The reward, it seems to me, is after the birth; way after the whole affair is done and over with. And I still don't feel that happy yet, mostly due to suffering a nasty case of postpartum depression consisting of suicidal thoughts and a deep blackness that an extra twenty mg of Prozac only helps to part. But when I see my husband with his daughter, how he coos over her and his face lights up, and my parents- in-law's smiles and eagerness to accept this child, I feel that my suffering was worthwhile--undoubtedly the most worthwhile action I have ever taken. I wish I could FEEL more, though; I am still numb and walk in a fog, but it hit me over the weekend that what I have done will live on long after me, and will carry my daughter's grandfather's and her father's physical and spiritual legacy on long after they have passed. In this, I feel more spiritually at peace than I ever have.
God bless all mothers for the pain they have suffered and the sacrifices they have made to ensure the legacies of their loved ones carry on. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. I can completely relate. I suffered from horrible PPD after my first too. This was also an intrusive hospital birth with pitocin and an episiotomy and other nasty interventions.

    I had a hard time feeling the love I thought I was supposed to feel towards her.

    Now, after my second, so many things are different. I got to the hospital too late to have pit or be made to lie down. It was so very different.

    And in understanding how narcissists actually can't and don't love their kids, I ublocked the REAL love I had all along. I started trusting it, trusting myself.

    We weren't given real love as kids, and it's so difficult when we become parents and see what's needed from us and can't quite cope.

    PPD was the most horrible thing that ever happened to me. I deeply sympathize. I hope and pray you rise out of that black hole soon!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, my father is also an alcoholic, but as I enjoyed the fact he drank - it soothed him and gave him something to do - I don't even identify as an ACoA, although I am one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! It is getting better, day by day. I'm sorry that you had to experience a similar episode--but I am glad you had a "corrective experience" the second time around. This is the only time for me, but I will live vicariously through others'positive experiences!

    You are quite fortunate that the alcohol soothed your father and prevented him from turning his attention toward you in a negative way. I wouldn't be surprised if you could still identify with a couple of the ACoA traits, though a lot less than most of us!

    ReplyDelete