Monday, June 27, 2011

How to Recognize Covert Incest

I wish I had seen this list a LONG time ago. 


(From http://botkinsyndrome.blogspot.com/2008/07/covertemotional-incest-checklist-long.html )

  
Indication of an Overly Close Parent-Child Bond
  1. I felt closer to one parent than the other.
  2. I was a source of emotional support for one of my parents
  3. I was “best friends” with a parent.
  4. A parent shared confidences with me.
  5. A parent was deeply involved in my activities or developing my talents.
  6. A parent took a lot of pride in my abilities or my achievements.
  7. I was given special privileges or gifts by one of my parents.
  8. One of my parents told me in confidence that I was the favorite, most talented or most lovable child.
  9. A parent thought I was better company than his or her spouse.
  10. I sometimes felt guilty when I spent time away from one of my parents.
  11. I got the impression that a parent did not want me to marry or move far away from home.
  12. When I was young I idolized one of my parents.
  13. Any potential boyfriend or girlfriend was never “good enough” for one of my parents.
  14. A parent seemed overly aware of my sexuality.
  15. A parent made sexual remarks or violated my privacy.


    I recently came across a photo my dad took of me--he sent me a disk with my some childhood pictures he took of me as a gift--that shocked the *^#$ out of me. High school. I am posing for him. Seductively posing. I wanted to throw up. I don't remember this at all. 



    Part B. Indication of Unmet Adult Needs
  16. My parents were separated, divorced, widowed, or didn't get along very well.
  17. One of my parents was often lonely, angry, or depressed.
  18. One of my parents did not have a lot of friends.
  19. One or both parents had a drinking or drug problem.
  20. One of my parents thought the other parent was too indulgent or permissive.
  21. I felt I had to hold back my own needs to protect a parent.
  22. A parent turned to me for comfort or advice.
  23. A parent seemed to rely on me more than on my siblings.
  24. I felt responsible for a parent's happiness.
  25. My parents disagreed about parenting issues.


    Part C. Indication of Parental Neglect or Abuse
  26.  My needs were often ignored or neglected.
  27. There was a great deal of conflict between me and a parent.
  28. I was called hurtful names by a parent.
  29. One of my parents had unrealistic expectations of me.
  30. One of my parents was very critical of me.
  31. I sometimes wanted to hide from a parent or had fantasies of running away.
  32. When I was a child, other families seemed less emotionally intense than mine.
  33. It was often a relief to get away from home.
  34. I sometimes felt invaded by a parent.
  35. I sometimes felt I added to a parent's unhappiness


    CHECK, CHECK, CHECK TO ALL. If you find yourself checking off all of these indicators, please, be kind and gentle to yourself and realize you were the VICTIM. Nothing that happened was your fault. Children do NOT cause their own abuse. 
    "If your checks tend to be clustered in the first and second sections, you may have been enmeshed with a Romanticizing or a Sexualizing Parent. If your checks are clustered in the second and third sections, you may have been enmeshed with a Critical/Abusive Parent. If you have checkmarks sprinkled throughout these three sections, you may have been alternately loved and abused by the same parent, or one parent may have abused you while the other adored you. Reflecting on your life history will help you sort this out."

No comments:

Post a Comment