Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"With silence comes peace. With peace comes freedom. With freedom comes silence." POTF

It is possible to make a life. Even for the most distraught of us. Even for those of us who had a rough start. Even for those who are going through the most horrendous trials.

Maya (pseudonym) is struggling with cancer. She is the sweetest, most giving person I could ever imagine meeting. Her life took a drastic turn when she discovered her disease. She didn't tell me until months after my daughter was born, for fear of causing me distress. Causing ME distress? Oh my, I wish she had not made that choice. I remember sitting across from her, holding my huge belly, eating pizza together. She was quieter than usual, and drank only warm water. I wish she had told me then. I visited her recently when she found out her prognosis didn't look good. She is the most beautiful person--a radiance was shining from her like I've never seen before. Her wall was covered with well wishes. She had long ago lost her hair, but she is beautiful. She's had spiritual experiences along this painful journey that she said help her be accepting of what is. She is at peace, although in pain and under the spell of the unknown. How this can be, I don't know, but she is my hero.

Jack (pseudonym) has made a life for himself. He was lost, but made decisions that led to stability and security. He is self-sufficient and independent and he works hard at bettering himself everyday. He's been advancing through school, bit by bit, with a full-time job and more, diligently practicing patience and discipline. He never had it easy and takes life as it is. He has my respect.

Josephine (pseudonym) recently lost her husband at a tragically young age. An unexpected, horrific tragedy. She tended to pregnant women, assisting them through their pregnancies and was trying to have her own child. She is strong, and in deep distress. What to do now, what choices to make, where to go when your whole world is ripped apart. I don't know how she gets through the days, but she does. I simply hold her and cry with her. My daughter's was the last birth she attended before this happened. She has my torn up heart.

Natalie (pseudonym) has a new baby, but is suffering with loneliness and uncertainty--the difficulties of being isolated at a time when it takes a village. I met her one day, shopping for baby items. We talked for a long time in the aisle, exchanged addresses, and fall on each other for support. She has my admiration for being open and willing to allow strangers into her life.









No comments:

Post a Comment